Irish Provenance Cornfield Annuals Mix
Before the advent of the intensive use of herbicides and pesticides, all of the species in this mixture would have been common weeds in our fields of corn.
This native cornfield annual with intense blue ruffled flower heads is a hardy annual and flowers from June-September. Best sown in cultivated soils receiving direct sunlight, this mix will show colour eight weeks after sowing.
This native cornfield annual mixture is an easy to grow alternative to summer bedding plants producing a riot of colour ranging from shades of blue and purple from cornflowers and corn cockle to corn poppies. Some species in this mixture can be purchased separately.
- Perfect for pollinators, creating habitats and food for a wide range of bees, butterflies and other pollinators.
- Species lifecycle: annual species only
- Sowing rate: 1.5-3g per square meter
- Access to light: Requires good access to light
- Optimal sowing period: March to June or August to October
- Flowering Period: May to September
- Species included: Corn Cockle, Corn Flower, Corn Chamomile, Corn Marigold, Corn Poppy
The wildflowers included in this mixture support the All-Ireland Pollinator Plan and are recommended by the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) as ‘Perfect for Pollinators’.